Public Letter of Appreciation to Dr. Ilaria Ramelli
This letter will be open for signatures through June 29, 2022 (Feast of Saints Peter and Paul).
Dear Dr. Ilaria Ramelli,
We the undersigned have each been reached and blessed in a meaningful way by your scholarly labors. We have read your books, listened to some of your lectures online or read and benefited from the many who cite your work in their own labors.
Not all of us are necessarily Christians, but we are all blessed by your public offerings. Naturally, the majority of us will share your love for the traditions and teachers of the Christian church over the years of her history. What all of us fully share, however, is a love and appreciation for your ongoing study—particularly of how the doctrine of apokatastasis went from a central tenet in the gospel message to being condemned and largely ignored for millennia.
We write in the solidarity of thankfulness for your skilled and generous labors. Those of us who pray, join with you in this way as well. May God sustain you in your work to complete the projects that you have underway.
We appreciate you and all that you have done in service of the history of the Christian faith.
133 Signatures (as of June 14, 2022)
- Honduras, Nigeria, South Africa, Brazil, Norway, Romania, Germany, Ukraine, Slovakia, Singapore, Turkey, India, Thailand, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Australia, United Kingdom, Ireland, Canada, and United States
- 2 Agnostic, 1 Unaffiliated, 1 Anti-theist, 1 Non-Christian
- 13 Christian, 7 Christian Universalist, 1 Follower of Jesus, 1 Informal Christian Catechumen, 1 Classical theist attempting to follow the way of Jesus
- 16 Catholic, 3 Eastern Catholic, 1 Marsilio Ficino type guy, 1 Oriental Orthodox Catholic
- 1 between Catholic and Orthodox
- 20 Orthodox, 1 Coptic Orthodox
- 8 Episcopalian, 6 Anglican, 1 Reformed Anglican
- 5 Protestant, 4 Lutheran, 2 Presbyterian (PCUSA), 2 Methodist, 2 United Church of Christ, 1 Congregational Federation, 1 Vineyard, 2 Charismatic Non-Denominational, 2 Charismatic Universalist, 2 Non Denominational, 1 Celtic Christian, 1 Celtic Catholic Church of the Americas, 1 Anabaptist, 1 Brethren in Christ, 1 Apostolic Christian Church of America
Note: if you are not sure if you have filled this form out already, please check your email as a confirmation was sent in reply to each of these signatures. We are also checking all names and emails for redundancy, so any duplicates will be flagged. You may also also feel free to email the website admin with any questions.
Submit your digital signature here:
Dr. Ilaria Ramelli suffers from progressive scoliosis and immune deficiencies that can compromise her physical strength and ability to stand, walk, even sit, or combat infection. However, her scholarly work continues with a recent essay, for example, on the patristic sources of Eriugena’s protology and eschatology.
As a summary of some ongoing work that Dr. Ramelli has expressed the desire to continue, see this preface to A Larger Hope?: Universal Salvation from Christian Beginnings to Julian of Norwich by Ilaria L. E. Ramelli from 2019:
It (the Christian Doctrine of Apokatastasis) will be followed in due course, God willing, by two other scholarly monographs: one on non-Christian and pre-Christian philosophical concepts of apokatastasis, from ancient philosophy to late antique Platonism (Proclus, Damascius), and another on the political, theological, pastoral, ecclesiastical, social, historical, and even linguistic causes for the rejection of the doctrine of apokatastasis or universal restoration, in late antiquity, by the “Church of the Empire”—mainly under the influence of Justinian in the East and of Augustine in the West.
To learn more about Dr. Ramelli, see her profile at ORCID.
- All signatures submitted here will be added to the total on at least a weekly basis.
- Robin Parry (theologian and friend of Dr. Ramelli as well as author of The Evangelical Universalist in 2006 with a 2nd edition in 2012) has kindly agreed to help deliver these names, emails and messages in a batch to Dr. Ramelli after this signature collection ends on June 29, 2022.
- A confirmation email will be sent to you once your signature is added to the total above. This is the only email that you will receive. (If you do not receive a confirmation email within a week, you may have had a typo in your email address. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and a note about not having received a confirmation email for your signature.)
- This website’s administration promises that no emails, names, message content or other information will be made public or shared with any party (other than the offer to Dr. Ilaria Ramelli to share them with her as a single batch after June 29, 2022).
- Some general data about the countries and religious affiliations of those who have signed will be updated above, but no specific information or messages will ever be shared about any of those signing.